An introductory teaching video and resource guide for health care professionals. The video follows the coming out stories of four different individuals, underscoring their experiences with health care and professional care givers. The guide accompanying the video recommends what to look and listen for in the narratives and also deals with the importance of understanding and learning about the health care needs of the gay, lesbian and bisexual patients, explorers the learner's attitudes toward homosexuality, and includes bibliography and resource list for both patients and professionals.
1. Why a Clinical Guide on Lesbian and Gay Health?
2. Improving the Doctor-Patient / Provider-Client Relationship
3. Lesbians' Physical and Sexual Health
4. Gay Men's Physical and Sexual Health
5. Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Adolescent Physical and Mental Health
6. Diagnosing and Treating Sexually Transmitted Diseases
7. HIV Issues
8. Mental Health of Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals
9. Substance Abuse
10. The Body
12. Special Populations
13. Professional and Training Issues
14. Legal Issues
App. A. Factors that May Indicate an Increase in Risk for Specific Diseases.
App. B. Sample Legal Contracts
Prologue: Divided from Ourselves -- Ch. 1. A Sickness of the Soul -- Ch. 2. Haunted by Shame -- Ch. 3. From Gay Shame to Gay Pride -- Ch. 4. Affect, Sex, and Relationships -- Ch. 5. Partners in Intimacy -- Epilogue: Revisioning Our Lives, Reinventing Ourselves